Migration Practice

If you are on a temporary or expired visa it can be very hard to know what you can do if you are experiencing violence from your partner. Many women want to leave the relationship but are worried their visa will be cancelled if they do leave.

Only the Australian Government has the power to refuse or cancel a person’s visa. Your partner or ex-partner cannot cancel your visa.

If you are experiencing family and domestic violence and are on a temporary or expired visa, we can help.

Our Migration Law Practice is focussed on achieving positive outcomes for women and their children on temporary visas by addressing their visa issues and working across sectors to improve their safety and wellbeing.


We help women who hold a temporary visa (bridging visa or no visa), who are experiencing family and domestic violence and who are financially disadvantaged.

We can provide migration advice and or assistance with your visa. In some circumstances we assist with ongoing casework, including representation to the Department of Home Affairs and the Administrative Appels Tribunal (Migration Refugee Division).

Depending on your situation, our assistance may include:

  • Checking your visa status.
  • Removing your application from other Immi accounts.
  • Assistance with submitted visa applications including requests for further information.
  • Assistance with consideration under the special provisions relating to family violence for provisional (subclass 300) or temporary partner (subclass 820 or 309) visa.
  • Assessment on alternate visa pathways.

In addition to proving migration advice and assistance, we also provide information and referrals to support women address other legal issues and practical needs that arise when leaving an abusive relationship.

We aim to intervene as early as possible to ensure important visa deadlines are dealt with.  We acknowledge that being on a temporary visa while escaping family and domestic violence is very challenging and we aim to support you navigate the migration process.


If you need legal advice or information about your circumstances please contact the Centre. Our Intake and Advice Line is open 9-5, Monday to Friday. You can call us on 02 6257 4377 or 1800 634 669. One of our Client Services team will go through your situation and see how we can help.

We have staff who speak Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, Hindi and French. If you need a translator please ring us and we will arrange this.

You can also request assistance online using our Request for Assistance form (click below). One of our Client Services team will be in touch to see how we can help.

Our services are free

Get Help