Paralegal and Intake Officer
- Competitive remuneration package commensurate with experience, including generous PBI salary packaging options, leave loading and paid Christmas shut down.
- MEA level 3 ($64,750 – $69,500 depending on experience)
- Unique opportunity to apply your legal secretarial and administration experience to assist women and work in a varied and fast-paced community legal practice.
- Full-time/ Part-time applications accepted. Expected start date September 2021
About the Position
The Women’s Legal Centre is a specialist community legal centre in the ACT. We provide high quality legal services, including representation and law reform activities, to support women’s safety, access to rights and entitlements. Our primary practice areas are Family Law, Care and Protection, Employment, Discrimination and Migration.
We are looking for a dynamic self-starter with legal secretarial experience to join our team. The Paralegal is a crucial member of our team and is the first point of contact for many of our clients. Using their well-developed understanding of relevant legal systems and processes and client liaison skills, Paralegals provide a warm and skilled intake to our service. They also provide high-level support to the Centre’s solicitors in a busy and varied practice.
As a Paralegal & Intake Officer, you will provide legal secretarial and administrative support to the Legal Practice, including:
- Managing client intake, case-tracking and client support;
- Drafting correspondence and court documents and providing litigation support;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key referral agencies; and
- Developing and managing workflow systems and file management.
Please see Position Description here.
If you are looking for a position where you can use your legal skills to support us to provide legal advice and representation for women experiencing domestic violence, we want to hear from you.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women, women with disability, and women from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Are reliable and have a warm and confident phone manner;
- Have experience working in a legal, community or professional services environment (family law experience desirable) in a secretarial/ intake role;
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment and wearing many hats;
- Have experience or the aptitude to work with vulnerable people;
- Identify as a woman.
How to Apply
Please email your CV and Expression of Interest (EOI) to firstname.lastname@example.org +
Your EOI should be no longer than one page and address these two questions;
- When have you identified a gap or a problem and how did you sort it out? and
- How do you manage difficult conversations?
Applications close 8 September 2021.
For more information please contact Brodie Hart on (02) 6257 4377.
Note: being a woman is a genuine occupational qualification under s34 of the Discrimination Act 1991 (ACT).