We're here to support you

We have a team of expert lawyers that can provide you with information, legal advice and representation.

We understand you might need more than legal advice to take the next step, so we also have a team of Social Workers and an Aboriginal Case Manager that can support you.

Our services are free.

We can help with:

  • Divorce & separation
  • Arrangements for children and property following separation
  • Domestic and family violence
  • Problems at work
  • Engaging with Child Protection
  • Discrimination & sexual harassment
  • Financial assistance for victims of crime applications


Our Intake and Advice Line is open 9-5, Monday to Friday.

You can call us on 02 6257 4377/1800 634 669. One of our Client Services team will go through your situation and see how we can help.

You can also request assistance online using our Request for Assistance form. One of our Client Services team will be in touch to see how we can help.

Before you call us, you can use the Eligibility Check below to see if we are the right service for you.

Request legal assistance


Are we the people for you? If we don’t practice in the area of law you need we can point you in the right direction.

Step 1

Use the Eligibility Check on this website to check we practice in an area of law relevant to your problem.
We can make an initial appointment provide info, urgent advice over the phone, or referral to a service that can better assist.

Step 2

Call our Advice and Intake Line on (02) 6257 4377 to see how we can help.
Initial appointments can help you figure out the range of issues involved, what you want to achieve and what your options are.

Step 3

Get some initial advice over the phone or at the Centre to clarify your options and possible next steps.
If you need more help, the Centre will review our capacity and consider your situation. If we can’t help we will try and find you another option.

Step 4

Assessment of ongoing assistance from the Centre.
We will take on your matter up to an agreed stage. We can represent you in negotiations, mediations and in court to resolve your matter.

Step 5

Ongoing legal representation, social work and cultural support.
When we get to the end of the agreed stage, we will talk to you about the next steps and how we can support you if the matter has not been resolved.

Step 6

Reassess your matter and your goals.
Our practice is focused on resolving your matter as soon as possible so you can move on to a safer and more secure future.

Step 7

Close your file.
Remember you can always get in touch again if you need more help or assistance from the Centre.

Step 8

Get back in touch if you need us.

Eligibility check

This eligibility check will ask you a few quick questions about your situation to find out if we practice in an area of law relevant to your problem and if you are eligible for our services. It takes less than three minutes to complete.

This tool is confidential. We don’t collect or keep any information you provide here.

Eligibility check
Do you identify as a woman? *


If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call for police and ambulance help.

Ph: 000

If you require police assistance but it is not an emergency, phone 131 444 or visit the ACT Police website.



DVCS is an inclusive service supporting children, young people and adults impacted by domestic and family violence. This includes those who use violence.

Ph: 24/7 Crisis Line 02 6280 0900


CCL provides free legal assistance in the areas of public housing, Centrelink, disability discrimination and some civil law matters. It also runs specialist programs to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with Centrelink, housing and race discrimination legal issues and people experiencing homelessness with civil law issues.

Ph: 02 6218 7900


CLC provides free legal advice and representation in the areas of consumer credit (mortgages, credit cards and personal loans), debt recovery, financial abuse, bankruptcy, insurance, simple contracts, and general fair trading and consumer protection.

Ph: 02 6143 0044


ALS provides free legal advice and representation in the areas of criminal law, family law, Care and Protection and Tenancy for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Ph: 1800 765 767 (Criminal matters) 1800 733 233 (Care & protection and family matters)


LA provides free legal advice and representation in the areas of criminal law, family law and some civil law matters, including migration and private tenancy issues.

Ph: 1300 654 314 (Helpline)



This Unit provides free assistance to people applying for Family Violence Orders and help to understand and respond to orders. The Unit is located at the ACT Magistrates Court.

Ph: 02 6207 1874 or 1300 654 314